Freebie for Teachers – get Canva Pro for free and access Canva for Education resources to create classroom documents like worksheets, calendars, presentations and so on. Publish any design with a professional look to help you with your class. For students, Canva has a ton of resources to make classroom projects and academic presentations more attractive.
What is Canva
Canva is a design platform with a collection of premium photos, icons, illustrations and videos in addition to several easy to use design tools to compose and publish anywhere in different formats. Prints, media, presentations – pretty much anywhere.
What can you do with Canva?
Canva is used by business, in education as well as individuals for personal use. Canva is a gold mine that´s popular with businesses. However, for teachers and students it is a hidden gem, with tons of tools to help both in and out of the classroom – especially now that with the COVID-19 pandemic schools are doing distance learning and a lot of us are basically homeschooling.
Canva for Education
When it comes to saving money and education, Canva is an excellent resource for educators, parents and students.
Canva – Free for teachers
Are you a teacher? apply to get a FREE Canva Pro account (register for the free trial first then apply to get Pro free after trial)
How to get it Free
- Create a Canva account with your valid school email address. Enter credit card information and then click claim my free trial. (no worries, you won’t be charged).
- Then gather up documentation that shows evidence of valid teaching qualification, such as:
- A photo/scan of a license/certification indicating K-12 teaching qualification.
- A photo/scan showing their employment status at the school.
- A photo/scan of their School ID indicating their teaching status.
- Then log into your Canva account and complete the Canva free for education application and submit (you need to have an existing account before applying, so be sure to use your school email to register)
What you get:
You can start creating as soon as you sign up for the free trial period of 30 days. Once the Canva staff verifies your information you’ll receive a confirmation email upgrading you to the Pro version for free.
With Canva teachers get a wide array of Pro design tools to make pretty much anything needed for classroom teaching. From teachers, to posters to stickers. Moreover, with Canva educators can share with each other their lesson plans, classroom activities and ideas. Most important however, is the ability to work as a team and collaborate in real-time.
Take a look at some worksheets created by other Canva users:
|Templates||Images||Icons & illustrations|
|Access content from Google, Drive, Dropbox, Folders||Fonts||‘live’ designs: Giphy, |
YouTube, QR codes
& Integration with Google Classroom
How to connect to Google Classroom:
If you use Google Classroom, upon activation of your Canva for Education subscription, you’ll have access to connect your account to Google Classroom. From there, you can create online class discussions and share content (links, videos, images) etc with your students and coworkers.
Other teachers and staff members (not just teachers) that you wish to share and collaborate with need their own Canva account as well. (share this post so they can learn about Canva for Education and create your team).
As someone who works in a school (and also a student), I always need resources that are beyond the scope of what is available within the school. More often than not, what I need is not free. So when it comes to getting interactive materials for my work, I use Canva.
Its pretty easy to tailor your classroom’s papers and teaching tools to your needs. Create class schedules, worksheets, charts, calendars, certificates, idea boards for your lessons and so on… If you use Google Classroom you can even customize the header to give it a personal touch.
You can create pretty much anything you need for your classroom. Got a soccer team? design your own t-shirts with Canva.
With Canva you can create designs to –
- Print – posters, business cards, flyers, invitations, stickers, …
- Publish social media posts, stories, thumbnails, videos, banners for Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and other social media outlets.
- Design documents such as resumes, letterhead, reports, invoices, calendars
- Organize class schedules, lesson plans, class projects, presentations, graphic organizers. Not just for teachers and administrators, but students as well.
- Design & print school team t-shirts
- Design a complete brand kit for your business
- Design birthdays, graduations and other personal event invitations and announcements. Organize recipe cards, create a photo collage, scrapbook and other hobbies.
These are just a few of the things Canva can be used for however. The fact that Canva integrates image editing, publishing tools, team collaborations and other tools make it more of a one stop shop.
Related: 10 Free Team Planning Templates
Canva design tools
Popular tools available in Canva
- Customize templates
- Magic resize – customize the size on an image to use in different designs
- Remove background from photos with a click
- Premium fonts
- Enhanced editing tools
- Brand Kit – create brand recognition with the use of colors, logos, fonts and other elements across different types of designs. This feature also offers Pro users time saving tools like branded templates, drag and drop logo and more.
- Color wheel
- Palette generator
- Transparent background
- Presentation playlists
- Animated stickers
- Choose download quality
- Enhanced support
- Unlimited folders to organize designs and images. This feature allows for naming the folders as well as moving, sharing and editing folders.
- 100 GB storage
Though it seems to be a lot, I don’t find Canva to be overwhelming. When it comes to design, the more – the better. There are a lot of ways to design and edit whatever you’re designing. You don’t want to limit yourself to what is just shown in the templates, so be sure to checkout Canva design tutorials so you can make the most of all its components when you try it out.
Furthermore, whatever you design with Canva is always accesible. You can store your designs wherever you want – your PC, phone, flashdrive – but you always have access to them online. Canva relies on a cloud-base storage system for their platform. As long as you have access to the internet your designs are at your fingertips.
You can also design your presentation on the go by downloading the Canva app – available for IOS and Android devices.
Canva for students
Did you know that you can make your school papers and academic presentations more attractive with Canva?
For college students, Canva is a fantastic alternative to the usual projects software, with awesome resources that add unique features to academic presentations and school assignments for free. For parents, Canva is a safe source for young students to get visual resources for their school papers and other school reports.
Canva can be used by children of any age, though for children age 13 and under Canva requires direct supervision by a guardian, guardian or another authorized adult sucha s a teacher.
I recently had to do an elaborate academic presentation along with a project paper that included data tools, assessment questionnaires and of course pictures. I needed a way keep the audience engaged and looked around for a tool that would enhance the information presented, and that’s how I discovered Canva. What would otherwise be a presentation with dull data looked more interesting and attractive by integrating Canva design elements. I was able to easily design my own survey forms and edit how data showed.
Here are some examples of different academic presentations made with Canva
Canva Pro is an excellent resource for getting images for book reports or science projects for example. More than just images however, creating flow charts to explain experiments to show on projects or reports look more organized and give a better presentation, and can easily be created with Canva.
Trouble getting your presentation started started?
I usually have trouble starting any presentation or project, especially an academic presentation or paper that is being graded or evaluated, so I use Canva templates to give me a push. They’re already pre-designed and all I do is customize it. The hard part is choosing one as there are several templates with different layouts.
The video clip to the right shows some of the academic templates available. (Click the play button to view). If you notice, some of slides even include presentation tips to help develop your own presentation design.
What you get with Canva Pro
Canva has both a free and Pro version. You still create a Canva account to use the free version and still also access design tools. However, one of the main differences with the two version is that instead of having a monthly payment, with the free version you pay-per-use.
Basically, this means that if there is a Pro design element that you wish to use, like an image or font for example, you simply add it to your design and click “remove watermarks“. You’ll then have a choice to pay a small fee to use it, or upgrade to the Pro version.
The price to remove the watermark start at $1. Obviously, the Canva Pro allows you to use any design tool without any additional cost, though there are a few limitations. The Canva Pro version is free for 30 days. Whatever you design you can choose to download as well as publish or share as you wish. No matter which version you have, all your designs stay in the Canva cloud unless you delete your entire account.
Another difference between the free and Pro versions is that the Pro version offers extra features to what is available in the free version. For example Canva Teams. When you create a team you can share files and designs with others. You’ll also able to designate administrator or member roles to your team. To start with teams all you have to do is send an invitation.
Canva teams is free for everyone, but with the Pro version however, you get additional functionalities that are tied in to other Canva Pro tools as listed above, as well as assign more roles to team members. Additionally Canva Pro allows unlimited member invitations and teams. Just assign each team a name to identify which is which.
Canva Pro limitations
- While you may still access designs you created on your mobile apps, some special Canva Pro features and settings are only available on a desktop.
- Some work created in Canva cannot be trademarked or limited to your brand or team. Contact Canva to get more details about what is allowed.
Canva will send you a reminder 3 days before the free period ends. You can cancel at any time or continue your subscription.
Canva for Personal Use
In my opinion, Canva for personal use is underused. My guess is that because there are so many apps available with editing tools people tend to rely on these apps. However, Canva has a lot of these design elements within the application. No need to have several apps that do different things.
- Social Media – When creating social media posts of any size and sharing on any platform is a breeze. You can share directly to your social media account from Canva. For anyone who wants to build up followers, you can customize your posts and messages with designs and colors that let people know who you are each time you share something. Also known as branding.
- Life events – Plann a celebration or another life event with complete control of how you want to design invitations, announcements, thank you cards and even t-shirts to help you celebrate.
I can go on with more examples but using Canva for personal use rather is limitless. My favorite thing about using Canva is that I can see what other people have designed and get ideas from that. This is especially useful when I can’t think of how to start a design.
Canva for Business
Most people use Canva for business purposes. Its easy to understand why though. The Brand tool kit feature is easy to use as well as a time saver. For example, by creating a brand template and simply dragging your logo into your design, the work is halfway done.
Another feature that is optimal for businesses is access to an amazing library of high quality images. However, an excellent feature that is extremely helpful for business is the ability to take the same image you are using for social media, for example, and use it for an infographic or a newsletter with a simple click.
For marketing purposes, using the resize tool and branded templates, creating brochures, flyers, and ads is simpler. However, with Canva Pro Teams collaboration between staff is more organized, streamlined and manageable. Team members can brainstorm, share, edit, create and so on based on their assignments. As an administrator, it is easier to track and control the progress of several projects.
Canva is not exclusive to specific business size or type of business. For example, a student launching a dog walking service to help pay for school or get extra money can design flyers to start rounding up customers.
Want to try it free?
Here’s What to Do:
- Click here to start your free Canva (free or Pro trial)
- sign up with Google, Facebook or email account.
- Free for 30 days – try it out, cancel any time and still keep your designs
- Select a payment plan
- Monthly – $12.95/month
- Yearly – $9.95/month
- Select a payment plan
- Choose a payment option
- Credit Card or PayPal
- Then click on “Claim my free trial” and you’re ready
Canva Pro is not about creating designs however. Its about creating beautiful yet professional looking designs. With the free Canva Pro 30 days trial you can design to your hearts content.
Happy savings, TaLis
Create Your Own Stickers