Just in time for the holiday season, double dip savings using pay with ibotta & Chase Freedom card
I’m a big fan of ibotta cashback app, and definitely take advantage of their pay with ibotta and online shopping features to maximize my savings. But this holiday season, by using ibotta and Chase Freedom credit card it means double dip savings and more cash back for one transaction. Plus, new card members can get $200 bonus to triple savings.
Here’s the deal: Ibotta is an app that gives you cash back when you buy products ranging from groceries to clothing either in store or online. Chase is a bank with several credit cards. Most credit cards give 1% or 1.5% cash back, except Chase Freedom gives credit card holders 5% cash back when using the credit card to pay at select categories. These categories change on a quarterly basis. From October 1st – December 31st, earn 5% cash back using Chase Freedom credit card to pay at select Department Stores, PayPal or Chase Pay, and save up to $1,500 in combined purchases. You’re therefore getting cash back from ibotta and Chase Freedom credit card at the same time!
Stack ibotta & Chase Freedom to double your savings
There are 2 ways to stack savings using ibotta
Here is how:
Pay with Ibotta
- In order to use the “Pay with Ibotta” feature, you have to register a credit card. I always recommend using a credit card that also has a good rewards program to maximize savings. In addition, your purchase is also protected.
- When you register a Chase Freedom card and shop between October 1st – December 31st at select Department stores, you will earn 5% cashback from Chase credit card.
- Example: 1) register Chase freedom card on pay with ibotta. 2) use pay with ibotta to get (example) a Boscov’s gift card. 3) Shop at Boscov’s and at checkout show the cashier the ibotta app gift card you purchased & done! (this article explains how pay with ibotta works)
- Savings: You will earn 5% from Chase PLUS % cashback from ibotta when you buy a gift card.
Note: Fetch Rewards also has a Fetch Pay feature which you can also use to double cash back using Chase Freedom.
Participating Department stores:
Beall’s of Florida
Boscov’s Department Store
Lord & Taylor
Nordstrom & Nordstrom Rack
Peebles Dept Store
Saks Fifth Ave & Off Fifth
The Bon Ton
Ibotta is constantly adding more retailers to Pay with ibotta. Check the app for new stores matching participating Chase retailers above.
Ibotta shop online
Even though there aren’t a lot of matching retailers in ibotta, you can still save, and don’t have to connect the credit card to ibotta in order to double savings. Use ibotta to shop online at a participating Department store listed in both ibotta and Chase. At checkout use the Chase Freedom card to pay.
- Example: 1) In the ibotta app, go to the “online shopping” section, and choose (for example) Macy’s Department store. 2) This will open up the Macy’s website where you shop as normal. 3) At checkout, pay with Chase Freedom credit card.
- Savings: You’ll earn a percent cash back on the total purchase from ibotta, plus 5% on the total charged to the credit card.
Note: Chase also has an online shopping rewards program in which credit card holders earn cash back when they shop online through the Chase shop online website. This is similar to ibotta’s shop online. To earn the ibotta credit, you would be shopping through ibotta app, and still get the 5% because you are using the Freedom card to pay. However, if you shop to Chase shop online rewards program, you still earn cash back.
Chase Freedom new card member offer:
If you don’t have a Chase Freedom credit card, then you’re in luck – they have a promo for new card members, where you can get $200 bonus when you spend $500 in the first 3 months. That sounds like a lot of money, but with Black Friday and the holiday shopping season around the corner – Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years, spending more than $500 is not so hard. Its worth a try though. I like that there is no annual fee for this credit card, so it doesn’t eat up any savings. You can find the fine print here and see if works for you.
Other ways to save with Chase Freedom this holiday season
PayPal doesn’t limit the number of accounts you link. Connect Chase Freedom card to your PayPal account and use it at checkout to earn 5% shopping at the stores listed listed above. Even if you don’t have ibotta you would still save. PayPal is a convenient feature that protects your credit card information, and for the holidays, an extra way to save money.
Chase pay is basically an app available for IOS and Android phones that’s a digital wallet, where instead of using your credit card, you open the app and use it to pay. Similar to Android and Apple Pay. Use it to pay at gas stations and Walmart.com among others.
I always look for ways to stack savings, so that one shopping transaction turns into multiple savings. I hope this post helps you save money this holiday season.
Happy savings, TaLis
You may be interested in:
Image designed with Canva
FYI, this post may contain affiliate links. Basically, this means that I get a commission when you shop through the link. I only promote products that I use, trust, and have good rating. Learn more